Stay focused on the race. We’ll help you avoid pit stops.
During each animal’s life cycle there can be many unexpected stops and starts along the way. Think of Arm & Hammer Animal Nutrition as your pit crew, here to deliver the right advice and the right fuel at the right time. Together we’ll get the job done—and the race won—by focusing on your Animals First. Productivity Always.
Fuel up to give cows the energy they need.
MEGALAC® helps enhance herd productivity by delivering rumen bypass fat to the small intestine. This provides the extra energy needed to achieve peak production levels. MEGALAC improves body condition and is the only bypass fat with a USDA measured Net Energy for Lactation (NEL) value, 2.96 Mcal/lb.1
MEGALAC advantage: the most fuel efficient source.
Years of research and testing led to the development of MEGALAC—the first bypass fat and most efficient energy source on the market.2 First introduced in 1986, MEGALAC remains the industry standard and delivers concentrated energy directly to the small intestine for optimal absorption.
Road Tip #1
Why cows need supplemental fat.
Supplemental fat supports milk production, helps cows retain body condition and improves reproductive performance. Plus, fats contain 2.25 times more energy than starches and digestible fiber.
Today’s dairy cows require significant energy to safely and productively fuel the life cycle journey.
MEGALAC drives consistently better results.
A comprehensive meta-analysis2 was conducted to determine the effect of supplementing lactating rations with various fat sources compared to feeding no supplemental fat.
MEGALAC was the only Calcium Salt of Palm Fatty Acids with published research and, thus, was evaluated as an individual category.
MEGALAC provided exceptional results across the board, outperforming all others in milk volume, milk fat yield and feed efficiency.
The race to consistency.
Consistency equals reliability. MEGALAC supplies diets with a consistent level of fatty acids every time
An analysis of 150 field samples showed MEGALAC had the highest level of total fatty acids3 with the lowest degree of variation between samples.
- MEGALAC consistently delivers the value you pay for
- MEGALAC supplies cows with the uniform fatty acid content they need to perform at high levels
Particle size: a key to fuel efficiency.
Not all commercial Calcium Salts are created equal, and particle size is an important reason why. Larger particles perform better because they don’t break down (biohydrogenate) in the rumen.4,5 MEGALAC® delivers consistently larger particle size, which means more of the original unsaturated fatty acids reach the small intestine for use by the cow.
Road Tip #2
Size matters: bigger particles, more energy.
Smaller Calcium Salt particles dissolve faster and are known to reduce fat-corrected milk production.
Take the bypass to success.
MEGALAC is more than 85% digestible in the small intestine when included in the diet at 3% of ration dry matter6—published digestibility values are not available for all Calcium Salt products.
Road Tip #3
Digestibility = getting the most from your investment.
The bypass properties and larger particle size of MEGALAC make it easier to reach and be absorbed in the small intestine.
It doesn’t pay to run on empty.
MEGALAC vs. C16:0.
A University of Delaware trial7 evaluated the performance of cows fed a diet supplemented with MEGALAC or Palmit 80,® a fatty acid prill containing high levels of palmitic acid (C16:0). Feeding MEGALAC resulted in increased milk production and greater feed efficiency.
- Results suggest there is a high risk of reducing profitability by sacrificing persistency and FCM when feeding a high C16:0 fat supplement compared to MEGALAC.
- Short-term feeding trials (less than six weeks) don’t tell the whole story. Differences in performance are not always consistent or detectable in short-term trials.
- The results are consistent with findings from previous on-farm demonstrations conducted with Arm & Hammer Animal Nutrition.
- 10.5 lbs. more fat-corrected milk (FCM) on average over the 12 weeks of the study.
- Energy-corrected milk production also showed similar results.
- 7.4 lbs. more milk on average over the 12 weeks of the study.
Road Tip #4
Choose reliable feed suppliers.
Considerable impurities can still remain in a product that lower the fatty acid and energy content. Also, rendered or processed fats can be highly variable in quality, so be sure to choose a consistent, reliable, proven fat source like MEGALAC.
MEGALAC: go for a consistent win.
MEGALAC® is a solid investment that contributes to bottom-line profits by delivering improved margins, regardless of milk price.
MEGALAC economic assumptions.
- Milk price was assumed at $15/cwt
- Rations were optimized in CNCPS with and without a fixed amount of MEGALAC (1 lb./day) for the milk production yields
- Ration costs were determined from the CNCPS model optimizations (using ingredient prices on September 16, 2015)
- Additional daily production costs were input at $7.00, $7.00, $7.25 and $7.50, respectively, across given production levels
Fuel up: recommended feeding rates.
- Feed MEGALAC at a rate of 1% – 2% ration dry matter to meet the energy requirements of high-producing cows.
- Feeding rates will depend on the stage of lactation and production levels.
Navigate the life cycle journey with MEGALAC.
Please complete the form below to request a quote for Megalac:
2. Rabiee AR, Breinhild K, Scott W, Golder HM, Block E, Lean IJ. Effect of fat additions to diets of dairy cattle on milk production and components: A meta-analysis and meta-regression. J Dairy Sci 2012;95:3225.
3. Data on file, 2007.
4. Data on file, 2008.
6. Sanchez WK. Energy Barrier Breaker® Research Summary. Church & Dwight Co., Inc., 2001. Page 10, Table 1 and Figure 5.
7. Block E, Kung l, Merrill C. Production performance parameters of early lactation dairy cows fed a diet supplemented with MEGALAC or a fatty acid prill containing high levels of palmitic acid. J Anim Sci Vol. 91, E-Suppl. 2/J Dairy Sci Vol. 96, E-Suppl.